The Problem With Design Packages
It is a common misconception that you can just call up a web designer
and find out how much websites cost. Yes, an experienced web designer
can give you a very close estimate if he/she knows EXACTLY what
you want in your website. Unfortunately, every website is different,
and each business owner has different needs. If a web designer offers
you a web design "Package" for a particular price, you
can be assured that you will be getting a website very much like
every other website owner who has purchased that design "Package".
How to Get an Accurate Quote
In order for you to get an accurate web design quote, you will need
to know several things:
- Will you need a custom logo designed?
- How many custom images will need to be created?
- How many images will need to be scanned?
- What will your website accomplish:
* Will it be an online business card?
* Will it be an online brochure?
* Will it be an online catalog?
- If it's an online catalog...
* Will you need your catalog to calculate totals?
* Do you want it to verify credit cards in real-time?
* Approximately how many pages will it need to be?
* If it's a catalog, how many products will you have?
- Will you want it done using Flash animations?
If the designer is experienced, he/she should be able to give you a price quote
that is accurate. The finished product should not exceed 10% more than the quote,
unless changes to the site design are agreed upon after the initial quote.
How to choose a designer
The quality of your website depends on two things:
- The quality of the information you provide to your designer
- The experience, ability, and creativity of your designer
Many company owners make the mistake of letting a friend or relative
design their site. Don't allow a novice designer to design your
site just because he or she knows how to use Microsoft FrontPage!
You will want to have a designer that has artistic ability, a knowledge
of information mapping, (arranging data in a format that facilitates
absorption by the viewer), who knows how to optimize images so your
website loads in an acceptable amount of time, and who has experience
creating their own images. Many novice designers use stock graphics
from a graphics CD or somebody else's website that will make your
site look unprofessional. There is absolutely no reason that your
small-business site can't look as professional as a multi-billion
dollar company's website. That is what makes the Internet such a
great sales medium.
Remember: Your company's image is directly related to the
quality of your site.
For more information, email